Adult Hurling vs St Kevins

Mon, 26th June 2006
Result: 7-12 to 2-07

An abundance of goals from the on-form forward line of Castleknock’s junior hurlers saw them advance from their third championship encounter with another win.

With the light rain from the previous night softening the ground and the absence of a strong wind, Sunday morning saw Porterstown Park in perfect condition for
championship hurling. These two teams have gained a lot of history between them over the past few years, most noticeably Castleknock’s triumph over Kevins in their first ever Championship final. So the swift start to Sunday’s game was of no surprise.

Some tenacious defending from the Knock full back line kept Kevins at bay for their first attack but within a number of minutes the deadlock was broken with
the visitors’ opening goal. Castleknock made a rapid response to Kevin’s early dominance by bagging a goal of their own from the resulting puck out, courtesy
of full forward Aidan Hassett. This retaliation to any of the opposition’s scores was the trend for the remainder of the game. The home side then hit a purple patch where within fifteen minutes, they outscored the opposition 2-03 to nothing. Some very indecisive goalkeeping was the cause of numerous goals, resulting
in the score-line having an unfair reflection on the performance of the Kevin’s boys.

The pick of the bunch was Ciaran Dwyer’s twenty fifth minute goal, when, after a well timed run, he showed a sweet touch in gaining control of Mick Geaney’s
long ball before applying the finish. Some well taken scores from the visitors’consistent free-taker Eoin O’Leary made the half time score seem slightly more respectable. 

Half Time: Castleknock: 5-06 v St.Kevins 0-05

Kevins showed some great character in taking the game to Castleknock but were only capable of converting two of their early opportunities into scores, mainly due to a tight full back line, marshaled by man of the match Patsy Haugh. Goalkeeper Brain Lawlor was sharp in getting a touch to a well struck shot on goal, and was quick off his feet to strike the ball out of the danger zone. Castleknock
continued their goalscoring prowess with Hassett and Dwyer on the mark again and showed their depth within the panel with fine displays from a number of
substitutes. They return to championship action on the fifteenth of July, where they will be playing for their third victory in their fourth game against Faughs.

Castleknock: B.Lalor, K.Walsh, P.Haugh, V.Needham, E.Forrest, M.Geaney,K.O’Brien(1-0), G.Mulgrew(0-02).DCormacain,C.Callagy(0-02) C.O’Brien(0-02) E.Shields(1-0), M.Barry(1-02), A.Hassett(2-02), C.Dwyer(2-02)