Good Friday Fun - Hurling & Camogie Activities
Good Friday was certainly a ‘Good Friday’ for the Juvenile Section of Castleknock Hurling and Football Club – almost 600 Castleknock girls & boys aged between U7 & U16 took part in a feast of camogie and hurling in Somerton.
Massive thank you to the Ladies Minor & Senior Camogie teams and the lads from the Mens Minor & Senior Hurling Teams who came in big numbers and did huge work all day – never even taking a break. The Féile Teams also helped out and ran a few of the of the stations.
Thanks also to those who ran the coffee shop and those who helped in any way to make this the successful day it was.
There was lots of fun – lots of great games, lots of scores and lots of skill on show. There was lots and lots of chocolate too – all the kids who participated were treated to an Easter Egg after their games.
Thanks to Maria Bergin & Ciarán Fennessy for the photos.
Good Friday (7th April) will be a fun day at Castleknock Hurling & Football Club.
The day will commence at 10am with our under 7’s and 8’s taking to the pitches to play hurling and camoige. This is about fun and integration of different age groups within the club. Our senior hurlers will do the warm ups for each group and our minors will be there to take teams and run the various competitions.
Hurling & Camogie Activities
- Longest puck competition,
- Hit the targets
- Many more fun hurling games
- Under 7’s and 8’s
Meet at 9.30 for warm up – matches starting at 9.45. After their matches, they’ll have the longest puck, hit the target and a few little drills.
- Under 9’s and 10’s
Meet at 10:15 for warm up – games will throw in at 10.45. They’ll move to the competition area for long puck and others fun games.
- Under 11’s and 12’s
Meet at 11.15 for warm up – games throw in at 11.45. Followed by competitions.
- Under 13’s and 14’s
Meet at 12:15 for warm up – games throw in at 12.45. Followed by competitions.
- Under 15’s and 16’s
Meet at 1.15 for warm up – games starting at 1.45, followed by competitions.
Camogie/Hurling Blitz Rules
• Each game will last 15 minutes – each team will play 3 x 15 min matches – groups with 2 teams will play 2 x 22 halves.
• Only 4 mins turn around between each game.
• Each team is blended in terms of ability and to that end each player cannot take more than 2 skills / 8 steps before they
shoot or pass.
• If all kids can wear a Castleknock Jerseys or Tops for older age groups who don’t have jerseys.
• The game starts with a hooter, and ends with a hooter. Please end game on hooter as the next game will need to start on
• Remember your hurl, helmet and shin pads.
• There is no registration for players – please make your way to the ATA on arrival.
• All teams need to be at the ATA 30 mins before first match for warm up and to get into your team. The ATA is on the right
when you come in the gate. Members of the senior and minor team will help the warm up.
• The main duty of the manager is to get the team into position before the hooter sounds – we want to let the kids make
decisions themselves, so light touch management is preferred.
• Encouragement from fans is welcome – but no instructions to be given. Let the kids play!
• Each child will be given a skills card to complete after the games – there will be a surprise for each card submitted.
• There is a tuck shop in the club house with cold and hot drinks along with some snacks also!
The Club’s coffee shop will be open for hot chocolates and treats where our club members can have a chat with each other – we will also have a little treat for each participant on the day.