Junior A Football vs Ballymun Kickhams

Junior A Football vs Ballymun Kickhams
Sun, 23rd February 2003
Result: 1-08 to 1-05
Junior A v Ballymun Kickhams (Parson Cup)

Ballymun Kickhams 1-05 Castleknock 1-08

The first official match of Castleknock’s campaign got off to a flyer in the Parson Cup with a well-earned 1-8 to 1-5 victory over Ballymun Kickhams on their new all-weather pitch in Pairc Ciceam on Sunday morning last. A new seriousness descended on the camp prior to the game as word had reached management that Official Chommmittee members Davy Leydon, Niall Tutty and Tony Nulty had not, I repeat HAD NOT, been seen in “McGoverns” on Saturday night. It was agreed by all that a massive leap forward had been achieved by the club on reception of this new professional change in attitude.

With this settled the Castleknock team went about the business of getting used to the new artificial playing surface in Pairc Ciceam (the largest of its kind in Europe) and all seemed to agree it was quite enjoyable. The day resembled an afternoon in July rather than mid-February what with the sun beating down, short grass, a dry ball and Gerry Kelly sweating profusely in the warm up.

Castleknock got off the blocks quickly with low fast balls being pumped into the forward line by Eoghan O’Callaghan and Dec Reilly resulting in an early score from play by Gerry Kelly. Dominic Smith was showing well at full forward and feeding new boys Conal McBrearty and Barry Farrelly with opportunities for scores. Alas, Castleknock’s lack of kicking practice was sorely evident with 10 wides kicked alone in the first half. I know there is plenty of Cavan lads on the team but this is inexcusable. Denis Lally was sniffing out any danger in the full back berth in the absence of Shane Reilly and was well assisted by Mick Geaney and David Dempsey. Davy ‘Glory’ Leydon (a bit harsh – ed.) even had time to make a strong run up the pitch from centre-back but was fouled just as he was about to release the trigger. But Castleknock’s superiority was not being reflected on the scoreboard and just before half time Ballymun closed the gap with a superb point from one of their midfielders on the right wing and a goal from close range which left Tony Nulty in the nets with no chance. Castleknock trudged off at half time 1-2 to 0-4 points down.

In the second half Castleknock began to concentrate more with the wind behind their backs and a couple of well worked moves resulted in points on the scoreboard. Ballymun were beginning to fight back and a couple of substitutions resulted in well taken points for the home side. Still Castleknock were finding it difficult to find their range and only due to a point by sub Sean Kiernan, a superb goal to the far corner of the net by Barry Farrelly following a blockdown by Niall Tutty and a point blank save from Tony Nulty kept the team in it. It was neck in neck with five minutes to go and a couple of superbly delivered balls by Davy Leydon near the end resulted in three more points for Dominic Smith (free), Eoin Moloney (off the left boot) and Barry Farrelly.

Castleknock trudged off the pitch worthy winners with bloody knees and elbows. Cool Hand may find it hard to wrestle himself back into the starting fifteen against St. Marks of Tallaght this week.

Team and scorers: Tony Nulty; Martin Griffin, Denis Lally, Mick Geaney; David Dempsey, David Leydon, Colin McGuckian; Eoghan O’Callaghan (capt), Declan Reilly;Conal McBrearty(0-1), Barry Farrelly(1-2), Gerry Kelly(0-1);Peter McKillan, Dominic Smith(0-2), Niall Tutty.Subs used: Willie Fogarty, Eoin Maloney(0-1), Sean Kiernan (0-1)