Junior A Football vs Kevin Killians

Junior A Football vs Kevin Killians
Sun, 25th July 2004
Castleknock 5-9 St Kevins/Killians 3-4

Castleknock kept their Division 7 promotion hopes alive with a hard earned victory over St Kevins/Killians in Porterstown on Sunday morning. The game started off at a cracking pace with Castleknock taking the initiative with Eoghan O’Callghan and Stephen Lynch in midfield dominating and feeding in good ball into their full forward line. A couple of early chances drew a blank but Castleknock opened their account when O’Callaghan spotted Gerry Kelly in space on the right and he slotted over for the opening score of the game.

As the rain started to come down conditions became treacherous and many balls were spilled and errors made. Peter McKillen increased Castleknock’s lead following a sweeping move down the pitch before Barry Farrelly added a free to put Castleknock three points ahead. Kevins were finding it hard to break down a resolute Castleknock defence with Davy Leydon, Mark Mohan and Ambrose Galligan proving a determined half back line. Dominic Smith increased Castleknock’s lead after a classic catch and turn 30 yards out before firing over.

Kevins then grabbed themselves a lifeline when a high ball in the Castleknock square was spilled and a Kevins foot hit a snapshot from 15 yards out that went through a forest of legs before ending in the back of the Castleknock net. Kevins immediately added a pointed free to close the gap. Castleknock responded well when another fine move ended with John Canavan slipping between two defenders before finishing a goal low to the keeper’s left. Stephen Keogan followed this up with a point for Castleknock after working himself into a good position to leave four points between the sides at the break.

Half-time score: Castleknock 1-5 St Kevins/Killians 1-1

Straight from the throw-in a Castleknock ball from defence found Peter McKillen who slipped a couple of defenders before finding Dominic Smith who rifled a shot to the roof of the net. This should have been an indication for Castleknock to close out the game but instead they sat back and allowed Kevins to attack. Kevins responded with a point before getting another goal for themselves with a punched effort from their full forward. Eoghan O’Callaghan steadied the ship for Castleknock with a fine run and point from midfield but Kevins dander was up and they swept down the pitch. They soon won themselves a penalty after the referee harshly judged a Castleknock defender for pushing in the back. The Kevins penalty taker left Fionan McDonagh with no chance, shooting low and hard to the left.

There was only a point between the sides now and it was time for Castleknock to roll up the sleeves. Hard work by the Castleknock forwards resulted in a Kevins clearance being blocked down and palmed into an empty net. Then a fine disguised pass by Stephen Keogan released Gerry Kelly who finished to the net. Kevins tried manfully to respond but Shane Reilly and Alan Raftery were anticipating any through balls and clearing to Castleknock men. Peter McKillen and Barry Farrelly posted points before Dominic Smith grabbed his second goal of the day, finishing low to the keeper’s left.

So a well worked win for Castleknock where the scoreboard did not accurately reflect the closeness of the game.

Castleknock scorers: Dominic Smith 2-1, Gerry Kelly 2-1, John Canavan 1-0, Barry Farrelly 0-3, Peter McKillen 0-2, Stephen Keogan 0-1, Eoghan O’Callaghan 0-1.

Castleknock: Fionan McDonagh, Alan Raftery, Shane Reilly, John McMenamin, David Leydon, Mark Mohan, Ambrose Galligan, Eoghan O’Callaghan, Stephen Lynch, Stephen Keogan, Barry Farrelly, Gerry Kelly, John Canavan, Dominic Smith, Peter McKillen

Subs used: John Corkery, Barry Reilly