Junior A Football vs Noamh Fionnbarra

Junior A Football vs Noamh Fionnbarra
Sun, 27th April 2003

Result: 0-12 to 0-08

Adult Football League Division 7

Castleknock ‘A’ 0-12 -v- St Finbarrs 0-8

Castleknock overcame the challenge of a very physical St. Finbar’s team in Porterstown on Sunday morning last. The Castleknock boys were resplendent in their new togs and socks which have been kindly sponsored by Centra in Laurel Lodge. When the gear arrived the team were told that there was a pair of size 42 knicks for one lucky player. A scramble ensued and Dominic Smith emerged victorious with the golden togs. Big Dom commented that it was the first time in his life that he’s ever had to use the string on his shorts. An historic day by all accounts.

The game began with Castleknock tagging on two early points from Gerry Kelly and Dominic Smith due to good work on the left from Dave Dempsey. On the far side, Eoin Moloney was holding his own and distributing well. Finbar’s relied on their big midfielder for a lot of their ball but Eoin O’Callaghan was putting him under pressure and the high balls into the full forward line were mopped up by Shane Reilly, Denis Lally and Willie Fogarty. Davy Leydon then made a great run up the pitch as only he can and passed to Dominic who was fouled and popped over the resultant free. Then, a nice ball from Eoin Moloney released Gerry Kelly on the right wing, who despite losing his boot managed to knock it over from a narrow angle. “Reminiscent of Babs Keating”, some said. “Yeah, his waistline” said others. Cool Hand, having impressed in training during the week (by actually attending), was also providing a good target for the midfield lads and set up numerous attacks. Yet for all their dominance Castleknock could not manage to pull away and a few well worked points from the visitors meant the sides went in at the break with the minimum between them, despite what the referee said.

Half time score: Castleknock ‘A’ 0-6 St. Finbars 0-5

The second half followed much the same format with Castleknock again controlling a lot of the possession but kicking too many wides or balls into the keeper’s hands. Patsy McGinnell went close when a long ball from midfield found him inside but he rattled his shot off the crossbar and it bounced down on the line. Camera angles subsequently proved that the whole of the ball did not cross the line but alas our Russian linesman had been replaced at the last minute with one from Knockbride. Finbars were quick on the break and they attacked in numbers up the middle but An Laoch and Shane Reilly held firm. Then in a successful tactical move, Peter McKillen switched to half-back with Eoin Moloney moving up front and Eoin immediately scored two points in quick succession. The Legend McGinnell got inside for another goal chance moments later but the keeper managed to get a fingertip to the shot and push it over.
Finbars were getting desperate at this stage and some reckless challenges on O’Callaghan and Smith resulted in Conal McBrearty tapping over two frees. Finbarrs went down the pitch looking for a goal but were denied by Tony Nulty’s superb continental style punched clearance under a dropping ball. The referee then blew for full time and the hard-earned victory belonged to Castleknock. Some ground is being made up on the league leaders of the division and its not over yet.

Thought for the Day: Lads, if you don’t win today, you lose.

Scorers: Dominic Smith (0-5), Conal McBrearty (0-2), Eoin Moloney (0-2), Gerry Kelly (0-2), Patsy McGinnell (0-1)

Castleknock Team: Tony Nulty, Willie Fogarty, Shane Reilly, Denis Lally, Eoin Moloney, Davy Leydon, Dave Dempsey, Declan Reilly, Eoin O’Callaghan, Peter McKillen, Gerry Kelly, Conal McBrearty, Patsy McGinnell, Dominic Smith, Brian Kelly.
Subs : Niall Tutty, Martin Griffin